Friday, December 18, 2009

First Encounter with Kaiser Doctors

The doctor visit today was completely inconclusive.

My blood pressure was elevated. I have had that happen more and more when I go to the doctor... then at home it is fine. I think I am becoming one of those people who have a high reading due to nerves/worry. ESPECIALLY today!

So, the Kaiser facility is SUPER nice. It is the most efficiently run doctor's office I have ever been a patient in! We checked in early, about 20 minutes before our appointment, and we were taken pretty much straight back. They had me do a urine sample, then we went back to wait. We had to wait on an ultrasound room to be ready.

Ahh..the wonderful "internal" ultrasound. YUCK! ha ha!

The doctor warned us that we might not see anything at this point, it being so early. He did see some fibroids. I was not aware that I had fibroids but I am not surprised. It shouldn't cause any issues though and he did see a gestational sac. That is the only thing really to see at this point anyway. It did measure the right size for 5 weeks. He said it was not perfectly round which might mean something or might not. I have researched that a bit since I got home and have found it is actually quite common and normal. It was reassuring to even see ANYTHING. My worse fear was that with the symptoms I have been having that there would be nothing there at all.

UPDATE: I have since found out that fibroids very commonly cause bleeding during pregnancy. Not that this is awesome news, but could be a very reasonable explanation for what is going on other than something being wrong. It won't necessarily cause problems but may cause more pain throughout....

He sent me over to the lab for blood work. Another awesome thing about this facility. It was right across the lobby to another waiting room and I only waited about 5 minutes. I was in and out for the stick in less than 3 minutes. I am supposed to come back on Monday for more blood work and they will compare the HCG levels. Those levels double every 48 hours in early pregnancy, so they will be able to tell if everything is progressing normally at that point.

It was VERY hard to read the doctor. He is new to me and seemed very nice...had great bedside manner and made me comfortable, but not knowing him I don't know if he tends to be overly cautious or whatnot. He did say that whatever was going to happen would happen at this point, and I am guessing that he is leaning on the side of preparing us for the worst. Besides, no one knows how I have been spotting and cramping at this point except me. Hearing stories from other people, it seems to have no rhyme or reason. Some people experience very heavy bleeding and have perfectly healthy babies...some people start out just like me and miscarry.

The point being: We are not in control of this one way or the other. I know that we have trusted with this entire situation from the beginning and there is no point stopping now. I am glad that we have a busy weekend. The doctor told me that it wouldn't matter if I sat around or went bowling...there is nothing to do but wait.

Thank you for your prayers.

No comments: